Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    I have never seen a cone treated like this. It looks kind of sloppy. Might be better for bass but probably not for HiFi

    Vintage Altec 604-8G Duplex Loudspeaker with Altec Crossover | eBay

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Interesting! They've done something I've often wondered if it might be beneficial for loosely suspended 604/605 drivers.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    You might as well paint it like these and be done with it!

    Vintage Altec Lansing 515B Speakers | eBay

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    You might as well paint it like these and be done with it!

    Vintage Altec Lansing 515B Speakers | eBay
    I saw those a little while back. Looks like someone bought them. It is kinda cool seeing a different color 515. My problem with them is unless you run those in open baffles you would never see the blue basket

    And back to the original shiny 604, I think if they had a pair of these they would be much better off. If they really do sound better how hard would it be to replicate the cone coating on a second speaker?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    If they really do sound better how hard would it be to replicate the cone coating on a second speaker?
    Really tough if one doesn't know the materials, application details. Heck, I've doped/tweaked enough 'FR' drivers to know it's hard just making a matched set unless the procedure is very basic.

    GM

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    I have a couple of pics of Frazier 80x, and the blue is very similar.

    I like blue, this blue is particularly nice.

    They have 515B stickers, which I guess could have been purchased and stuck on.
    Yeah, I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I'd seen blue drivers, though don't recall seeing any Frazier Altecs.

    Me too; looks like Ford 'Grabber' blue [AKA Matra blue] from the same era, though the picture and/or my laptop could be off a shade [or three]. Painted quite a few cars, bicycles and one motorcycle with it.

    The stickers look like they were taped over unless in me blowing them up made the blue 'bleed'/overlap them a bit. Still got a quart can of it in Acrylic Enamel. Hmm, wonder if it's still good 4+ decades later....... Maybe make some repro Fraziers.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Still got a quart can of it in Acrylic Enamel. Hmm, wonder if it's still good 4+ decades later....... GM
    I have some stuff like that, I start thinking that's probly still good, till I do the math.
    Sonic Barbarian

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    You might as well paint it like these and be done with it!

    Vintage Altec Lansing 515B Speakers | eBay
    I have seen Frazier OEM blue Altecs, wonder if those are too.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I have seen Frazier OEM blue Altecs, wonder if those are too.

    Now OG that didn't cross my mind. I have a couple of pics of Frazier 80x, and the blue is very similar.

    I like blue, this blue is particularly nice.

    They have 515B stickers, which I guess could have been purchased and stuck on.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    With it's enclosure as shown, Frankenspeaker.
    Jon Archibald

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: 604G with "shiny" cone on ebay:)

    Did Frazier use 515's in any of their speakers? I am used to seeing Frazier or Heathkit use 803/416. It never occured to me those could be Altec supplied woofers for another manufacturer. I just assumed someone painted them.
    IMO they would be worth more (and cooler) if they left the factory that way

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.